Abdullah bin Hamid Ali is a senior faculty member of Zaytuna College specializing in Islamic Law and Legal Philosophy. He is a lifelong student of the Islamic tradition being born to Muslim parents having begun a serious study of Islam in his early teens. He attended Temple University for 2 years (1995-1997) prior to pursuing studies that culminated in a 4-year collegiate license (ijaza ‘ulya) from the prestigious Al-Qarawiyin University of Fes, Morocco (1997-2001). He has also served as adjunct professor of Arabic at UC Berkeley (2013), and adjunct professor of Intro to Islam at the Graduate Theological Union (2014). He holds a BA (ijaza ‘ulya) in Islamic Law (Shar’ia) from the prestigious Al-Qarawiyin University of Fez, Morocco, an MA in Ethics & Social Theory from the Graduate Theological Union, and is involved in PhD dissertation work in Cultural & Historical Studies of Religion at the Graduate Theological Union (Berkeley). A native of Philadelphia, PA, Abdullah relocated with his family by invitation from Zaytuna College’s Board of Trustees in 2007 to the Bay Area to instruct pilot seminarians in the Islamic rational sciences (theology, legal theory, hadith science) after spending 5 years as assistant full-time chaplain at the State Correctional Institution of Chester, PA (SCI Chester).. Abdullah is a very active member of the Bay Area community who regularly delivers the Friday service address at a number of mosques, and conducts regularly scheduled online classes.
Muslim Funeral Guide (Lamppost Productions), 2005
The Attributes of God (Amal Press), 2006
Al-Ghazzālī, Abū Ḥāmid (Trans. Abdullah bin Hamid Ali). A Return to Purity in Creed, Philadelphia: Lamppost Productions, 2008
“Preserving the Freedom for Faith: Reevaluating the Politics of Compulsion,” The Review of Faith & International Affairs, Vol. 9, Monday 12 June 2011
“Scholarly Consensus: Between Use & Misuse,” Journal of Islamic Law and Culture, Volume 12, Issue 2, 2010
“The Homosexual Challenge to Muslim Ethics” (Lamppost Educational Initiative).
- Scholarly Consensus: Between Use & Misuse (Lamppost Version)
- Minhaj of the Salaf Regarding the Authentic Sunna
- The Absolute Truth About Sunna & Bid’a
- Interpreting on the Fault Lines: Trends of Ijtihad in North America
- Is the Qur’an Enough?
- The Special Characteristics of the Maliki Madhhab (Shaykh Muhammad al-Ta’wil)
Law & Jurisprudence
- Ibn ‘Ashir on Prayer & Purification
- Preserving the Freedom for Faith (Apostasy)
- Is Congregational Dhikr a Bid’a?
- The Maliki Argument for Not Clasping the Hands in Salat (Part I)
- The Maliki Argument for Not Clasping the Hands in Salat (Part II)
- Reciting the Takbirah in Unison
- Is There No Arafah Except the One in Arafah?
Culture & Society
- Seeking Solutions to Violent Crime
- Islam & Turning the Other Cheek
- A Prescription for Positive Progression
- Reflections on the Convert/Non-Convert Divide
Ethical Reasoning & Spirituality
- Fighting the Ills of the Heart
- Is Intelligence Gender Specific?
- An Islamic View of Marriage & Celibacy
- A Warning Against Ideological Fanaticism
- Abu Hanifa, Salafis, Al-Fiqh Al-Akbar & The Truth
- The Speech and Word of Allah: In Light of Traditional Discussions
- What Does Your God Look Like?
Inspirational & Theodicy